Position Description: Accountant
Reporting to: Director of Operations & CEO
Type: Full time
Requirements: Must be a CPA or working towards a CPA designation
Minimum 3 years’ experience in full cycle accounting
Are you looking for a new challenge with an organization that is doing meaningful work? Is making a difference and having a big impact an important factor in your career fulfillment? Does your passion and curiosity drive your desire to learn?
As a non-profit, Innovation Guelph is dedicated to helping our clients get stronger, not only to endure during the pandemic, but to thrive. To do this work, we have a solid team that creatively adjusts programming and collaboratively looks for opportunities to provide more companies with greater support. Your role as an accountant is an important component in achieving these goals.
If you are a problem-solver with excellent time management skills, who can crunch the numbers in a timely fashion, and continuously improve reporting and procedures with a view to supporting program and organizational management, we would love to review your resume!
Sound good so far? Here’s the nitty gritty details!
- All day-to-day activities of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner.
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Process payroll in a timely manner.
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations are completed.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Employment benefits and pension administration.
- Compile timely and complete financial statements.
- Manage the production of the annual budget and interim forecasts.
- Prepare financial reports to various funders as contractually required.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for complex funding structure.
- Manage cash closely.
- Prepare reports for the Executive Director and Finance & Audit Committee of the Board and be prepared to answer questions as required.
- Collect, review and validate contractor invoices and track their compliance with allocated hours and/or project-based contracts.
- Manage mentor invoices and ensure accuracy of hours tracked in the CRM.
- Develop and implement necessary tracking systems to ensure that contractors remain compliant.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Comply with government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Interface with outside audit firms(s), banks, insurance providers and funders.
- Contribute to the design and development of financial analysis tools, databases, tracking systems and business processes that will improve overall operational efficiency.
- Provide financial analysis to assist in the evaluation of company ventures or special projects, programs, capital expenditures, etc. when necessary.
- Participate in the development of and support the company’s strategic plans.
- Attend Finance & Audit Committee meetings and board meetings as required.